Thursday 18 February 2010

It's All (mostly) about the Waxwings!

Well I am in the middle of writing a 2009 round up of my best birds. So just a short post for now about my trip to Ashington.
Well I noticed there was a mini invasion of Waxwings 10 minutes away from work so I left a bit earlier to go check the 36 strong flock out. I arrived at the Cemetery around 15:30 to find 4 blokes with massive lenses pointing up a tree, so I thought that's probably where they were as they weren't there when I showed up.....Bugger man! I started work at 4 so was hoping they would turn up soon. I was told by Birding Sometimes and PC Wanderings
that they had been feeding in the Gardens nearby and heading back to the tree next to the cemetery to digest their food. When I went over to speak to these Bloggers I found it funny that they both introduced themselves by their Blog names and the funniest thing is, I did the same!!!

Anyway, 10 Waxwings came and perched above me not long after, giving great views in the bright winter light. The rest of the flock were still feeding over in the gardens. I only had my Bins with me so couldn't get a decent picture of the birds but I got a few with the camera phone and Bins for the Blog. Always thinking!

Click the photo for a even worse look at these Beauties!

I had to leave sharpish to get to work and swiped in bang on 4 o'clock, Result!

Rowlands Gill related birding news: I seen 3 Red Kites displaying down from my house on Sunday, hopefully they will nest nearby.

Thought I would leave you a Mystery Bird Photo for you to check out. The bird in question was near Lamesley Water Meadows in someones front garden, Good Luck!

??????

4 comments: